RENTER’S INSURANCE – YOU WANT IT!
Why would a tenant need insurance? Let me count the ways!
- The landlord’s insurance doesn’t cover any of your belongings if they are damages from water leaks, fires, any other disaster or mishap.
- You may need something to cover damages if you cause an accident.
- It is possible that a guest could injure themselves in your home and ask for health care expenses to be covered.
- If your belongings are stolen, you would have some coverage to replace them.
- The average cost is between $100 and $180 per year. That’s cheap if you think about replacing one laptop, not to mention a bed, couch, clothes, TV’s etc.
Shouldn’t the landlord pay for insurance? They do!!! It covers their own belongings, equipment and the building itself. If you cause a fire, their insurance may actually sue you for the cost of damages.
In a recent US News article, Nicole Schreck says, “You can’t afford to skip renters insurance” and she is right. Read her article and go get some insurance!